Thursday 25 February 2010

How effective is the combination of your main product and ancilliary texts?

My ancilliary products are, as they are meant to be, representative of my teaser trailor. Yet there are some things which I feel are lacking between the three products which connects them. An example of this would be te use of a tag line. My poster is the only one of my products which has a tag-line for the film. Neither the trailor nor the magazine front cover contains the line. I wonder if perhaps this would cause some confusion within the audience. I feel that the use of the image of the horrific silhouette was particularly useful as a core image but cleverly utilised to the extent that the actual horror figure wasn't revealed. All three of my products have this image which picks up a clear link between them which the audience may be able to identify. The colour scheme of the products I feel vary slightly. The trailor appears to be extremely dark, along with the film poster, however the magazine colour appears to be much brighter than the other products and may confuse the audience slightly. If the front cover is different to the other two products, it would be possible that the audience would mistake it for a different film were it not for the title. I also need to take into account the fact that a distribution company does not have control over the magazine covers, but I feel that my front cover is representative of this, having one image connecting the three.
Personally, I feel that the combination of my products could have been better, but still, when put into action could prove to be useful in a marketing campaign. With the use of a popular film magazine and a fairly eye-catching poster, it would at least draw an eye or two into looking at the film. My trailor, I feel, is the best out of the three products simply for the fact that there is much more in it and that when in a cinema through a trailor-run, the audience would have nothing to do but to watch it. Overall, I think that the combination of my three coursework products in a marketing campaign was a marginal success despite some of the small issues.

1 comment:

  1. You explain the similarity of your poster image to one in a teaser, but why did you pick that image as the core one for your advertising? Also you need to say more about the specifics of the teaser and the poster to explain how they back each other up - colours, tagline, fonts etc. If some of these things could be improved to create more coherence you should also say so. You must also consider your film magag cover as an example of the sort of publicity the distributor would try to generate - so you need to look at the entirety of a movie marketing campaign to explain how publicity works alongside advertising (and promotion).

    ReplyDelete